This page contains info for Orchestra Members only. If you are not a member, we suggest looking at the Home or Achievements pages for info for you.
Warning re Rehearsals
Due to roadworks, the Shrewood Rise road to our rehearsal facillty from the junction with Mansfield Road and Gregory Boulevard is closed until May. Diversions are signposted or you can get there directly from the Ring Road, or via Radford Road and then North Gate or via Hucknall Road and then Haydn Road. For more details see: https://www.transportnottingham.com/roadworks/sherwood-rise/
Rehearsal Schedule & Key Dates
- January 20th – Polonaise, Karelia mvts 1, 3 then 2
- January 27th – Bavarian Dances mvts 1, 3 then 2
- February 3rd – Polonaise, Cello concerto mvts 1, 2, 4 then 3
- February 10th – Strings sectional; Wind sectional
- February 17th – Cello concerto mvts 1, 2, 4 then 3
- February 24th – Cello concerto with Danushka (all mvts in order)
- March 2nd – Bavarian Dances mvts 1, 3 then 2
- March 9th – Polonaise Karelia mvts 1, 3 then 2
- March 16th – Bavarian Dances (mvts TBC), Karelia (mvts TBC)
- March 23rd – TBC
- March 27th – All repertoire
- Sat 28th March – Spring concert at St Peter’s, Church Ruddington
- March 30th – post-concert break
- April 6th – Easter Week – no rehearsal
- April 13th – Easter – no rehearsal
- May 4th – rehearsal as normal (May Bank Holiday is 8th)
- May 25th – Spring Bank Holiday – no rehearsal
- Sat 11th July (provisional date) – Summer concert with Folk Theme
- Sat 21st November (provisional date) – Autumn concert with Russian Theme
Preparation for Spring concert – 28 March 2020
Our Spring concert will be at St Peter’s Church, Ruddington. Sheet music for all pieces will be available from January 2020, but links are provided to IMSLP if you want to preview it or print extra copies.
- Tchaikovsky – Polonaise from Eugene Onegin
- Elgar – Three Bavarian Dances
- Sibelius – Karelia Suite
- Elgar – Cello Concerto, with soloist: Danushka Edirisinghe
Did you Know (YouTube)?
You may not be aware that you can change the speed of playback on YouTube. This can be really useful if you want to practice a really tricky section slowly till you get it right.
To change the speed – first, bring up YouTube for the music; and click on the SETTINGS icon in the bottom right
Then select Playback Speed and choose the speed you would like
Rehearsals (and refreshment breaks!)
Rehearsals are held in the Theatre building at the Sherwood Rise site of the Djanogly Learning Trust, NG7 7AR (See map) on Monday evenings from 7.00 pm to 9.15 pm. If you are able to arrive a few minutes early to help put out chairs, that is really helpful.
We have a refreshment break at ‘half time’ for which we ask members to bring their own (small) mug. Three members of the Orchestra are rostered each week to provide the refreshment – so please check the Rota to see when you are scheduled.
Membership and Subs
If you are not a member but interested in joining the Orchestra, please see info on the Home page. Members need to be able to come to rehearsals regularly – as frequent gaps make it less enjoyable for other players.
Subs should be paid by standing order – either annually in January; or quarterly in November, February, May and August. Currently they are £100 per year (Please contact the treasurer, Roger Kilby, for standing order information). One exception is that membership for a full-time student is free – so don’t forget to tell Roger if you already are (or if you become) a student!
Provisional programme for future concerts
11 July 2020 Folk Theme:
Vaughan Williams – Folk Song Suite;
Holst – A Somerset Rhapsody;
New commission from Ben Graves;
Dvorak – Symphony No 8
21 November 2020 Russian Theme:
Balakirev – Overture on Three Russian Themes;
Mussorgsky – Dawn at the Moskva River;
Rimsky Korsakov – Trombone Concerto;
Tchaikovsky – Symphony No 6
Our orchestra is a registered charity (Charity No. 1084053) and our structure is defined in the DCO constitution. Day-to-day management is by our committee – each member of which has specific roles, as shown below. Orchestra Members can read Minutes from committee meetings and AGM (contact the Enquiries for a password).