This page contains info for Orchestra Members only. If you are not a member, we suggest looking at the Home or Achievements pages for info for you.
Rehearsal Schedule & Key Dates
- Mon 28 Jan – rehearsal with Djanogly City Academy students
- Mon 4 Feb – informal performance with DCA students / Elijah Intro, Overture & 1
- Mon 11 Feb – normal rehearsal – Elijah Overture, 1, 11, 12, 10, 9
- Mon 18 Feb – normal rehearsal – Elijah 16, 19, 20, 15, 7
- Mon 25 Feb – normal rehearsal – Tricky corners from last two weeks
- Mon 4 Mar – joint rehearsal with choirs – focus on Part 1 Choruses
- Mon 11 Mar – normal rehearsal – 23, 24, 29, 32, 37
- Mon 18 Mar – normal rehearsal – 42, 38, 34, Prologue, 36, 30
- Mon 25 Mar – joint rehearsal with choirs – focus on Part 2 Choruses
- Mon 1 Apr – normal rehearsal – 14, 4, 33, 13, 31
- Mon 8 Apr – normal rehearsal – 8, 39, 40 (+ remaining strings only – 3, 6, 25, 27)
- Mon 15 & 22 Apr – no rehearsal (Easter)
- Mon 29 Apr – normal rehearsal – t.b.c.
- Mon 6 May (bank holiday) – joint rehearsal with choirs at St Peter’s, Ruddington
- Mon 13 May – normal rehearsal – t.b.c.
- Sat 18th May – performance of Elijah at St Mary’s in the Lace Market
- Mon 20 & 27 May – no rehearsal (post-concert break and bank holiday)
- Mon 3, 10, 17 & 24 June – Rehearsal for Music Hub concerts plus other work
- Mon 1 July – concert with the Nottingham Music Hub at Albert Hall (see below)
- Tue 2 July – concert with the Nottingham Music Hub at Albert Hall (see below)
- Mon 8 & 15 July – possible concerto rehearsal for future concert
- Mon 2 Sept – first rehearsal after summer break
- Sat 30 Nov – Autumn concert including concerto with Aminata Kanneh-Mason
- Sat 25 Mar 2020 – Spring concert
Spring concert – Mendelssohn’s Elijah – 18th May
We will be performing Mendelssohn’s Elijah at St Mary’s church in the Lace Market on Saturday 18th May – in conjunction with the Ruddington Choir; Burton Joyce Choral Society and the Nottingham Hospitals Choir. Some joint rehearsals are being scheduled (see Key Dates).
Music – Our Librarians have copies of the music available at rehearsals. Some of you also like to print your own copy (maybe to annotate, or because you otherwise have to share), so here is a link to the page on IMSLP.
A list of the movements is shown below. If you want to familiarise yourself with the music, or to practice playing along, a Youtube link for each movement is provided (on the ‘headphone’ symbol Ω). The work is very long so the planning committee have decided to cut a few movements – these are shown as ‘Cut‘ and
crossed through in the list.
- Introduction: As God the Lord of Israel liveth Ω
- Overture (orchestra) (Ω included with No 1)
- Chorus (SATB): Help, Lord! Ω
Duet (SS) with Choir (SATB): Lord! bow thine ear to our prayer!(cut)
- Recitative (Obadiah): Ye people, rend your hearts Ω
- Aria (Obadiah): If with all your hearts Ω
Chorus (SATB): Yet doth the Lord see it not(cut)
- Recitative (Angel I): Elijah! get thee hence Ω
- Double quartet (Angels, SSAATTBB): For he shall give his angels; (Angel I): Now Cherith’s brook is dried up Ω
- Recitative, Aria, Duet (Widow, Elijah): What have I to do with thee? Ω
- Chorus (SATB): Blessed are the men who fear him Ω
- Recitative (Elijah, Ahab, SATB): As God the Lord of Sabaoth liveth Ω
- Chorus (SSAATTBB): Baal, we cry to thee; hear and answer us! Ω
- Recitative (Elijah, SATB): Call him louder, for he is a god! Ω
- Recitative (Elijah, SATB): Call him louder! he heareth not! Ω
- Aria with Choir (Elijah, SATB): Lord God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel! Ω
- Quartet (SATB): Cast thy burden upon the Lord Ω
- Recitative (Elijah, SATB): O thou, who makest thine angels spirits Ω
Aria (Elijah): Is not his word like a fire?(cut) Arioso (Angel I): Woe unto them who forsake him! (cut)
- Recitative (Obadiah, Elijah, SATB, Youth): O man of God, help thy people! Ω
- Chorus (SATB): Thanks be to God Ω
- Part II.
Aria (Soprano): Hear ye, Israel!(cut) Chorus (SATB): Be not afraid, saith God the Lord(cut)
- Recitative (Elijah, Queen, SATB): The Lord hath exalted thee Ω
- Chorus (Obadiah, Elijah): Woe to him, he shall perish Ω
- Recitative (Tenor): Man of God, now let my words Ω
Aria (Elijah): It is enough, O Lord now take away my life(cut)
- Recitative (Tenor): See, now he sleepeth Ω
- Trio (SSA): Lift thine eyes Ω
- Chorus (SATB): He, watching over Israel, slumbers not Ω
- Recitative (Angel I, Elijah): Arise, Elijah, for thou hast a long journey Ω
- Aria (Angel I): O rest in the Lord Ω
- Chorus (SATB): He that shall endure to the end, shall be saved Ω
- Recitative (Elijah, Angel II): Night falleth round me, O Lord! Ω
- Chorus (SATB): Behold! God the Lord passeth by! Ω
Quartet, Choir: Above him stood the Seraphim; Holy is God the Lord(cut)
- Recitative (SSATTBB, Elijah): Go, return upon thy way! I go on my way Ω
- Arioso (Elijah): For the mountains shall depart Ω
- Chorus (SATB): Then did Elijah the prophet break forth Ω
- Aria (Tenor): Then shall the righteous shine forth Ω
- Recitative (Soprano): Behold, God hath sent Elijah Ω
Chorus: But the Lord, from the north…; Quartet: O come everyone…(cut)
- Chorus (SATB): And then shall your light break forth ; Lord, our Creator Ω
Concerts with the Nottingham Music Hub – 1 & 2 July
We will perform 2 different joint concerts on consecutive nights with the Nottingham Music Hub at the Albert Hall. The Nottingham Music Hub comprises several musical ensembles and some pieces will be jointly played with various of their bands, while others will be just us. Music to be played jointly with them includes Carmina Burana (1st movement), Sway, Beethoven 7th slow movement and William Tell Overture (special arrangement in G to allow younger players to join in).
Because the only time to rehearse with them is immediately before the concert, we need to start promptly 6.00 p.m. – and encourage as many of the orchestra as possible to be there. The actual concert starts at 7.00.
Rehearsals (and refreshment breaks!)
- Rehearsals are held in the Theatre building at the Sherwood Rise site of the Djanogly Learning Trust, NG7 7AR (See map) on Monday evenings from 7.00 pm to 9.15 pm.
- If you are able to arrive a few minutes early to help put out chairs, that is really helpful.
- We have a refreshment break at ‘half time’ for which we ask members to bring their own (small) mug. Three members of the Orchestra are rostered each week to provide the refreshment – so please check the Rota to see when you are scheduled.
Membership and Subs
Members need to be able to come to rehearsals regularly – as frequent gaps make it less enjoyable for other players.
Subs should be paid by standing order – either annually in January; or quarterly in November, February, May and August. Currently they are £100 per year (Please contact the treasurer, Roger Kilby, for standing order information). One exception is that membership for a full-time student is free – so don’t forget to tell Roger if you already are (or if you become) a student!
Our orchestra is managed by a committee comprising Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer and up to 5 other members elected at the AGM in November. Currently the committee comprises 7 members, each of whom has a defined role (see below).
- See Minutes from committee meetings and AGM (contact the Enquiries for a password).
- or read our DCO constitution