This page contains info for Orchestra Members only. If you are not a member, we suggest looking at the Home or Achievements pages for info for you
Pandemic Progress – we’re back!
Well we were – briefly!
After all the planning and preparation we only managed one rehearsal – on Monday 5th October for the Strings – before the rapid rise in Covid rates makes it simply impractical for us to continue to rehearse in person at the Djanogly Learning Trust.
So here’s what we are doing instead…
DCO- but not as before.
Instead of rehearsing together on Monday evenings – Dan has generously offered to host a series of hour long sessions on Mondays exploring and discovering some music you may or may not already know. These will be in informal sessions – part tutorial; part listening to the music Dan has selected; part discussion. A chance to be together again – albeit virtual – on Zoom starting at 7.30 each week. Details of the Zoom meeting will be eamiled to you by Jacky.
Look forward to seeing you then.
We had a full year plan for concerts for 2020 before Lockdown – all sadly now cancelled. Below we list what the programmes WOULD have been, along with links to manuscript and YouTube performances so you can play your part alongside a performance if you wish.
Cancelled from 28th March 2020:
- Tchaikovsky – Polonaise from Eugene Onegin (Manuscript see Mvt 19; Youtube)
- Elgar – Three Bavarian Dances (Manuscript; Youtube Dance1 Dance2 Dance3)
- Sibelius – Karelia Suite (Manuscript; Youtube)
- Elgar – Cello Concerto, with soloist Danushka Edirisinghe (Manuscript; Youtube). (Danushka is a member of the NYO and is taught by Ben Davies. In 2019 Danuschka won the Gregynog Young String Player of the Year Award and Leicestershire Lord Lieutenant’s Award – Young Artist of the Year 2019 – for his musical achievements.)
Cancelled from 11 July 2020 (Folk theme)
- Vaughan Williams – Folk Song Suite; (no Manuscript; Youtube)
- Holst – A Somerset Rhapsody; (Manuscript; Youtube)
- New commission from Ben Graves; (no Manuscript or Youtube – obviously!)
- Dvorak – Symphony No 8 (Manuscript ; Youtube)
Cancelled from 21 November 2020 (Russian Theme):
- Balakirev – Overture on Three Russian Themes; (No Manuscript; Youtube)
- Mussorgsky – Dawn at the Moskva River; (Manuscript; Youtube)
- Rimsky Korsakov – Trombone Concerto; (No manuscript; Youtube)
- Tchaikovsky – Symphony No 6 (Manuscript; Youtube)
Rehearsals (and refreshment breaks!)
Rehearsals are held in the Theatre building at the Sherwood Rise site of the Djanogly Learning Trust, NG7 7AR (See map) on Monday evenings from 7.00 pm to 9.15 pm. If you are able to arrive a few minutes early to help put out chairs, that is really helpful. We have a refreshment break at ‘half time’ for which we ask members to bring their own (small) mug. Three members of the Orchestra are rostered each week to provide the refreshment – so please check the Rota to see when you are scheduled.
Membership and Subs
See ‘Pandemic Progress’ for latest rehearsal arrangements.
If you are not a member but interested in joining the Orchestra, please see info on the Home page. Members need to be able to come to rehearsals regularly – as frequent gaps make it less enjoyable for other players.
Subs should be paid by standing order – either annually in January; or quarterly in November, February, May and August. Currently they are £100 per year (Please contact the treasurer, Roger Kilby, for standing order information). One exception is that membership for a full-time student is free – so don’t forget to tell Roger if you already are (or if you become) a student!
Our orchestra is a registered charity (Charity No. 1084053) and our structure is defined in the DCO constitution. Day-to-day management is by our committee – each member of which has specific roles, as shown below. Orchestra Members can read Minutes from committee meetings and the AGM (contact the Enquiries for a password).