This page contains info for Orchestra Members only. If you are not a member, we suggest looking at the Home Page or a section of Our Past for info for you
Covid-19 statement (Updated 23/04/22)
Since this section was last updated in January 2022, Covid restrictions in England have virtually all been removed. We have therefore revised our Risk Assessment to reflect this, but we still encourage anyone who is feeling unwell (whether Covid-related or not) to stay away from rehearsals. We have retained the option for anyone who wishes, to wear a face mask or to increase distancing between them and their neighbours.
Summer 2022 Programme (updated 27/03/22)
Our summer concert is on Saturday 9th July at St Marks church in Woodthorpe. Rehearsals start from 4th April but the programme has a number of interruptions for bank holidays – so see the Rehearsal Timetable below, which will also include details of which pieces we are rehearsing in each session when the information is available.
The repertoire for the concert is as follows. I have, as usual, included a link to IMSLP (for players who want to print their own manuscript) and to YouTube (to familiarise yourself with the piece). Sheet Music will be available at rehearsals.
- Vaughan Williams – Folk Song Suite (15 minutes) (Manuscript n/a; Youtube)
- Holst – A Somerset Rhapsody (11 minutes) (Manuscript; Youtube)
- Ben Graves – If springe hold, the cock’s mine (world premier) (10 minutes)
- Dvorak – Symphony No 8 (37 minutes) (Manuscript ; Youtube)
Rehearsal timetable (Updated 22/04/22)
- April 25th – Holst / Vaughan Williams
- May 2nd – No rehearsal – bank holiday
- May 9th – Dvořák mvts 1 and 4
- May 16th – Dvořák mvts 2 and 3 (no lower brass)
- May 23rd – Holst / Graves
- May 30th – Dvořák mvts 4 and 1
- June 6th – Dvořák mvts 3 and 2 (no lower brass)
- June 13th – Graves / Vaughan Williams
- June 20th – Dvořák (order: 1, 4, 2, 3)
- June 27th – Graves / Holst / Vaughan Williams
- July 4th – Corners from everything
- July 8th – (Friday) All repertoire
- July 9th – Concert Day – St Marks, Woodthorpe. Afternoon rehearsal 2.30 p.m.
- Sept 5th – re-start rehearsals after summer break
- Dec 3rd – Autumn concert
Rehearsals Procedures (Updated 23/04/22)
Rehearsals are held in the Theatre building at the Sherwood Rise site of the Djanogly Learning Trust, NG7 7AR (See map) on Monday evenings from 7.00 to 9.15. We have a break at ‘half time’ to rest and to socialise, to which you may bring your own refreshments.
- Members are asked to stay away if they feel unwell (whether Covid-related or not).
- Strings who wish to sit singly rather than at ‘desks’ need their own stand and music
- Wind players need a means of collecting drips.
- Our latest risk assessment (which covers general risks as well as Covid) is Here.
Advance notice: Autumn Concert – 3rd Dec 2022
- Balakirev – Overture on Three Russian Themes; (No Manuscript; Youtube)
- Mussorgsky – Dawn at the Moskva River; (Manuscript; Youtube)
- Rimsky Korsakov – Trombone Concerto; (No manuscript; Youtube)
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6 (45 minute) (Manuscript; Youtube)
Membership and Subs
If you are not a member but interested in joining the Orchestra, please see info on the Home page.
Members need to be able to come to rehearsals regularly – as frequent gaps make it less enjoyable for other players.
Subs should be paid by standing order – either annually in January; or quarterly in November, February, May and August (please contact the treasurer, Roger Kilby, for standing order information). From 1st Nov 2021, subs return to their previous level of £100 per year. The one exception is that membership for a full-time student is free – so don’t forget to tell Roger if you already are (or if you become) a student!
Our orchestra is a registered charity (Charity No. 1084053) and our structure is defined in the DCO constitution. Management and planning is through our committee. Each member of the committee has specific roles, as shown below.