This page contains info for Orchestra Members only. If you are not a member, we suggest looking at the Home or Achievements pages for info for you.
What’s New on this page:
8/11/18 – change to Organisation section
12/10/18 – Change to date of AGM; Summary of 2019 events
19/9/18 – Rehearsal Schedule added to Key Dates section
19/9/18 – New Subs info added to Membership & Subs section
Key Dates & Rehearsal Schedule
NEXT WEEK Mon November 19th – All Tchaikovsky
- Fri November 23rd 2018 – All Repertoire
- Sat November 24th 2018 – Autumn Concert (see programme below)
- Mon November 26th 2018 – no rehearsal (Post concert break)
- Mon December 3rd 2018 – normal rehearsal
- Mon December 10th 2018 – last Rehearsal before Christmas break
- Mon January 7th 2019 – first Rehearsal of 2019
What’s happening in 2019?
We are still finalising our programme for 2019 – but it is looking quite different from our ‘normal’ year (of 3 concerts in Spring, Summer and Autumn) so here is the provisional outline…
- Mondays Jan 21st, Jan 28th & 4th Feb – Joint rehearsals with musicians from Djanogly City Academy, leading to an informal performance on 4th. This is to foster closer working relations with DCA.
- Sat 18th May – Performance of Elijah in a joint concert with Ruddington Choir; Burton Joyce Choral Society and the Nottingham Hospitals Choir at St Mary’s in the Lace Market. There will be some joint rehearsals beforehand (probably all on Mondays). Get a preview of the music here.
- Mon 1st July & Tue 2nd July – joint performance with the Nottingham Music Hub (details to follow)
- After the summer, we revert to our normal schedule with a concert on 23rd or 30th Nov (t.b.c.)
’30th Anniversary Concert’ – Info
Our autumn concert on 24th November celebrates the Orchestra’s 30th Anniversary (yes, OK, you had guessed from the title). The programme is shown below. Our Librarians have copies of all the music available at rehearsals, so you don’t need to print any yourself.
However we know some people like their own copy (maybe to annotate, or because they otherwise have to share), so we have provided links to IMSLP where available – and these are shown with the mu(sic) ‘μ‘ symbol. There is also a link to a YouTube performance of each piece in case you want use it for practice (but be warned – it may differ from our interpretation) shown with ‘headphone’ symbol ‘Ω‘.
- Strauss – Overture to Fledermaus μ Ω
- Saint-Saens – Samson et Delila, Bacchanale μ Ω
- Copland – Hoe Down from Rodeo Ω
- Sibelius – Finlandia μ Ω
- Badelt – Pirates of the Caribbean Ω
- Tchaikovsky – Symphony No 4 μ ( Mvt 1 Ω; 2 Ω; 3 Ω; 4 Ω; 1-4+Score Ω)
Rehearsals (and refreshment breaks!)
- Rehearsals are held in the Theatre building at the Sherwood Rise site of the Djanogly Learning Trust, NG7 7AR (See map) on Monday evenings from 7.00 pm to 9.15 pm.
- If you are able to arrive a few minutes early to help put out chairs, that is really helpful.
- We have a refreshment break at ‘half time’ for which we ask members to bring their own (small) mug. Three members of the Orchestra are rostered each week to provide the refreshment – so please check the Rota to see when you are scheduled.
Membership and Subs
Members need to be able to come to rehearsals regularly – as frequent gaps make it less enjoyable for other players.
Subs should be paid by standing order – either annually in January; or quarterly in November, February, May and August. Currently they are £100 per year (Please contact the treasurer, Roger Kilby, for standing order information). One exception is that membership for a full-time student is free – so don’t forget to tell Roger if you already are (or if you become) a student!
Our orchestra has a written constitution (see DCO constitution) and is managed by a committee comprising Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer and up to 5 other members elected at the AGM in November. Each member has a defined role and we meet as necessary. Minutes from recent meetings are here (contact the Enquiries for the a password to access them). Currently the committee comprises 7 members: