This page contains info for Orchestra Members only. If you are not a member, we suggest looking at the Home or Achievements pages for info for you
Rehearsal Schedule & Key Dates
In line with Government advice – all rehearsals are cancelled until further notice. We will notify members by updating this page and by email when the situation becomes clearer. In the meantime members are asked to return any copies of music for the March Concert to Emma (See Jacky’s email of 17/03/20 for details) so we can return it to the hirer.
KEEPING IN TOUCH: During our period of ‘dormancy’ – why not keep an eye on our Facebook page where you will find snippets of news about us as things develop, and light hearted stuff to keep those in facebook and our other followers aware that we haven’t gone away! Here is a reminder of the link.
Depending on the time we are able to re-start rehearsals the dates for future concerts may remain as follows. The content of the concerts will depend on whether we can reschedule the March programme for either of these dates:
- July 11th (Sat) –
Summer concert at St Andrew’s, NottinghamCancelled
- Nov 21st (Sat) – Autumn concert at St Mark’s, Woodthorpe
Dan wishes members to be aware of the NLMS SUMMER SCHOOL – Aug 1st – 8th. This event normally offers opportunity to be involved in a range of musical ensembles, and may or may not still be on. (Contact Dan or visit https://nlmsmusic-summerschool.co.uk for more details)
Future Concert Programme (postponed from March 2020)
All our programme is on hold while the Coronavirus pandemic restrictions are in place. At this time we do not know when these regulations will be relaxed sufficiently for us to re-start rehearsals. When it does, we will review and re-issue a new concert schedule.
Prior to the lockdown the planned 2020 programme of concers was as follows. (Links to YouTube so you can familiarise yourself with the music and to IMSLP do you can download your part to play along are shown where available).
Concert planned for 28th March 2020:
- Tchaikovsky – Polonaise from Eugene Onegin (Manuscript see Mvt 19; Youtube)
- Elgar – Three Bavarian Dances (Manuscript; Youtube Dance1 Dance2 Dance3)
- Sibelius – Karelia Suite (Manuscript; Youtube)
- Elgar – Cello Concerto, with soloist Danushka Edirisinghe (Manuscript; Youtube). Danushka is a member of the NYO and is taught by Ben Davies. In 2019 Danuschka won the Gregynog Young String Player of the Year Award and Leicestershire Lord Lieutenant’s Award – Young Artist of the Year 2019 – for his musical achievements.
Concert planned for 11 July 2020 with Folk Theme:
- Vaughan Williams – Folk Song Suite; (no Manuscript; Youtube)
- Holst – A Somerset Rhapsody; (Manuscript; Youtube)
- New commission from Ben Graves; (no Manuscript or Youtube – obviously!)
- Dvorak – Symphony No 8 (Manuscript ; Youtube)
Concert planned for 21 November 2020 with Russian Theme:
- Balakirev – Overture on Three Russian Themes; (No Manuscript; Youtube)
- Mussorgsky – Dawn at the Moskva River; (Manuscript; Youtube)
- Rimsky Korsakov – Trombone Concerto; (No manuscript; Youtube)
- Tchaikovsky – Symphony No 6 (Manuscript; Youtube)
Rehearsals (and refreshment breaks!)
Rehearsals are held in the Theatre building at the Sherwood Rise site of the Djanogly Learning Trust, NG7 7AR (See map) on Monday evenings from 7.00 pm to 9.15 pm. If you are able to arrive a few minutes early to help put out chairs, that is really helpful.
We have a refreshment break at ‘half time’ for which we ask members to bring their own (small) mug. Three members of the Orchestra are rostered each week to provide the refreshment – so please check the Rota to see when you are scheduled.
Membership and Subs
If you are not a member but interested in joining the Orchestra, please see info on the Home page. Members need to be able to come to rehearsals regularly – as frequent gaps make it less enjoyable for other players.
Subs should be paid by standing order – either annually in January; or quarterly in November, February, May and August. Currently they are £100 per year (Please contact the treasurer, Roger Kilby, for standing order information). One exception is that membership for a full-time student is free – so don’t forget to tell Roger if you already are (or if you become) a student!
Our orchestra is a registered charity (Charity No. 1084053) and our structure is defined in the DCO constitution. Day-to-day management is by our committee – each member of which has specific roles, as shown below. Orchestra Members can read Minutes from committee meetings and AGM (contact the Enquiries for a password).