This page contains info for Orchestra Members only. If you are not a member, we suggest looking at the Home or Achievements pages for info for you.
Key Dates & Rehearsal Schedule
- Mon 7th Jan 2019 – first Rehearsal of 2019 and first rehearsal for Elijah
- Mon 21st Jan 2019 – 7.00-8.00 rehearsal with Djanogly City Academy students
- Mon 28th Jan 2019 – 7.00-8.00 rehearsal with Djanogly City Academy students
- Mon 4th Feb 2019 – informal performance with DCA musicians
- Mon 11th Feb 2019 – normal rehearsal
- Mon April 22nd 2019 – no rehearsal (Easter)
- Sat 18th May 2019 – performance of Elijah at St Mary’s the Lace Market
- July 2019 – advance notice of perfromance with the Nottingham Music Hub
Spring concert – Mendelssohn’s Elijah – Info
Our normal schedule of 3 concerts per year is being disrupted in the first half of 2019 as will be performing Mendelssohn’s Elijah at St Mary’s church in the Lace Market on Saturday 18th May – in conjunction with the Ruddington Choir; Burton Joyce Choral Society and the Nottingham Hospitals Choir. Some joint rehearsals are being scheduled – and one is likely to be on Monday 6th May (May Day bank holiday) so please keep this free of possible.
MUSIC: Our Librarians will have copies of all the music available at rehearsals from 7th Jan 2019, so you don’t need to print any yourself. Some of you like your own copy (maybe to annotate, or because you otherwise have to share), so here is a link to the page on IMSLP.
A list of the movements is shown below. If you want to familiarise yourself with the music, or to practice playing along, a Youtube link for each movement is provided (on the ‘headphone’ symbol Ω). The work is very long so the planning committee have decided to cut a few movements – these are shown as ‘Cut‘ and
crossed through in the list.
- Introduction Einieltung (Elijah): As God the Lord of Israel liveth Ω
- Overture (orchestra) (Ω included with No 1)
- Chorus (SATB): Help, Lord! Ω
Duet (SS) with Choir (SATB): Lord! bow thine ear to our prayer!Ω (cut)
- Recitative (Obadiah): Ye people, rend your hearts Ω
- Aria (Obadiah): If with all your hearts Ω
Chorus (SATB): Yet doth the Lord see it notΩ (cut)
- Recitative (Angel I): Elijah! get thee hence Ω
- Double quartet (Angels, SSAATTBB): For he shall give his angels; (Angel I): Now Cherith’s brook is dried up Ω
- Recitative, Aria, Duet (Widow, Elijah): What have I to do with thee? Ω
- Chorus (SATB): Blessed are the men who fear him Ω
- Recitative (Elijah, Ahab, SATB): As God the Lord of Sabaoth liveth Ω
- Chorus (SSAATTBB): Baal, we cry to thee; hear and answer us! Ω
- Recitative (Elijah, SATB): Call him louder, for he is a god! Ω
- Recitative (Elijah, SATB): Call him louder! he heareth not! Ω
- Aria with Choir (Elijah, SATB): Lord God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel! Ω
- Quartet (SATB): Cast thy burden upon the Lord Ω
- Recitative (Elijah, SATB): O thou, who makest thine angels spirits Ω
Aria (Elijah): Is not his word like a fire?Ω (cut) Arioso (Angel I): Woe unto them who forsake him! Ω (cut)
- Recitative (Obadiah, Elijah, SATB, Youth): O man of God, help thy people! Ω
- Chorus (SATB): Thanks be to God Ω
- Part II.
Aria (Soprano): Hear ye, Israel!Ω (cut) Chorus (SATB): Be not afraid, saith God the LordΩ (cut)
- Recitative (Elijah, Queen, SATB): The Lord hath exalted thee Ω
- Chorus (Obadiah, Elijah): Woe to him, he shall perish Ω
- Recitative (Tenor): Man of God, now let my words Ω
- Aria (Elijah): It is enough, O Lord now take away my life Ω
- Recitative (Tenor): See, now he sleepeth Ω
- Trio (SSA): Lift thine eyes Ω
- Chorus (SATB): He, watching over Israel, slumbers not Ω
- Recitative (Angel I, Elijah): Arise, Elijah, for thou hast a long journey Ω
- Aria (Angel I): O rest in the Lord Ω
- Chorus (SATB): He that shall endure to the end, shall be saved Ω
- Recitative (Elijah, Angel II): Night falleth round me, O Lord! Ω
- Chorus (SATB): Behold! God the Lord passeth by! Ω
- Quartet (SSAA), Choir (SATB): Above him stood the Seraphim; Holy is God the Lord Ω
- Recitative (SSATTBB, Elijah): Go, return upon thy way! I go on my way Ω
- Arioso (Elijah): For the mountains shall depart Ω
- Chorus (SATB): Then did Elijah the prophet break forth Ω
- Aria (Tenor): Then shall the righteous shine forth Ω
- Recitative (Soprano): Behold, God hath sent Elijah Ω
- Chorus (SSAATTBB): But the Lord, from the north hath raised one Isaiah; Quartet (SATB): O come everyone that thirsteth Ω
- Chorus (SATB): And then shall your light break forth ; Lord, our Creator Ω
Rehearsals (and refreshment breaks!)
- Rehearsals are held in the Theatre building at the Sherwood Rise site of the Djanogly Learning Trust, NG7 7AR (See map) on Monday evenings from 7.00 pm to 9.15 pm.
- If you are able to arrive a few minutes early to help put out chairs, that is really helpful.
- We have a refreshment break at ‘half time’ for which we ask members to bring their own (small) mug. Three members of the Orchestra are rostered each week to provide the refreshment – so please check the Rota to see when you are scheduled.
Membership and Subs
Members need to be able to come to rehearsals regularly – as frequent gaps make it less enjoyable for other players.
Subs should be paid by standing order – either annually in January; or quarterly in November, February, May and August. Currently they are £100 per year (Please contact the treasurer, Roger Kilby, for standing order information). One exception is that membership for a full-time student is free – so don’t forget to tell Roger if you already are (or if you become) a student!
Our orchestra is managed by a committee comprising Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer and up to 5 other members elected at the AGM in November. Currently the committee comprises 7 members, each of whom has a defined role (see below).
- See Minutes from committee meetings and AGM (contact the Enquiries for a password).
- or read our DCO constitution