This page contains info for Orchestra Members only. If you are not a member, we suggest looking at the Home or Achievements pages for info for you.
What’s New on this page:
19/9/18 – Rehearsal Schedule added to Key Dates section
19/9/18 – New Subs info added to Membership & Subs section
Key Dates & Rehearsal Schedule
- Mon September 24th 2018 – Fledermaus; Tchaikovsky II
- Mon October 1st 2018 – Tchaikovsky III; Finlandia
- Mon October 8th 2018 – Hoe Down; Tchaikovsky IV
- Mon October 15th 2018 – Bacchanale; Tchaikovsky I
- Mon October 22nd 2018 – Bacchanale; Pirates; Tchaikovsky II
- Mon October 29th 2018 – Tchaikovsky IV and I (Also the orchestra AGM)
- Mon November 5th 2018 – Pirates; Fledermaus; Tchaikovsky II
- Mon November 12th 2018 – Hoe Down; Finlandia; Tchaikovsky III
- Mon November 19th – All Tchaikovsky
- Fri November 23rd 2018 – All Repertoire
- Sat November 24th 2018 – Autumn Concert (see programme below)
- Mon November 26th 2018 – no rehearsal (Post concert break)
- Mon December 3rd 2018 – normal rehearsal
- Mon December 10th 2018 – last Rehearsal before Christmas break
- Mon January 7th 2019 – first Rehearsal of 2019
’30th Anniversary Concert’ – Info
Our autumn concert on 24th November celebrates the Orchestra’s 30th Anniversary (yes, OK, you had guessed from the title). The programme is shown below. Our Librarians have copies of all the music available at rehearsals, so you don’t need to print any yourself.
However we know some people like their own copy (maybe to annotate, or because they otherwise have to share), so we have provided links to IMSLP where available – and these are shown with the mu(sic) ‘μ‘ symbol. There is also a link to a YouTube performance of each piece in case you want use it for practice (but be warned – it may differ from our interpretation) shown with ‘headphone’ symbol ‘Ω‘.
- Strauss – Overture to Fledermaus μ Ω
- Saint-Saens – Samson et Delila, Bacchanale μ Ω
- Copland – Hoe Down from Rodeo Ω
- Sibelius – Finlandia μ Ω
- Badelt – Pirates of the Caribbean Ω
- Tchaikovsky – Symphony No 4 μ ( Mvt 1 Ω; 2 Ω; 3 Ω; 4 Ω; 1-4+Score Ω)
Rehearsals (and refreshment breaks!)
- Rehearsals are held in the Theatre building at the Sherwood Rise site of the Djanogly Learning Trust, NG7 7AR (See map) on Monday evenings from 7.00 pm to 9.15 pm.
- If you are able to arrive a few minutes early to help put out chairs, that is really helpful.
- We have a refreshment break at ‘half time’ for which we ask members to bring their own (small) mug. Three members of the Orchestra are rostered each week to provide the refreshment – so please check the Rota to see when you are scheduled.
Membership and Subs
Members need to be able to come to rehearsals regularly – as frequent gaps make it less enjoyable for other players.
Subs should be paid by standing order – either annually in January; or quarterly in November, February, May and August. Currently they are £80 per year, but will rise to £100 per year from 1st November 2018. All members are asked to adjust their standing order for all payments on or after that date (Please contact the treasurer, Roger Kilby, for standing order information). One exception is that membership for a full-time student is free – so don’t forget to tell Roger if you already are (or if you become) a student!
Our constitution (see DCO constitution) states that the orchestra is managed by a committee – comprising three officers (Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer) and up to 5 other elected members. Currently the committee comprises 7 members: