The Djanogly Community Orchestra is a friendly amateur orchestra based in Nottingham. Our name derives from the Djanogly Learning Trust where we rehearse on Monday evenings, and we usually perform three concerts per year.
Our music is mostly for full orchestra from the classical period onward, and includes symphonies, shorter pieces for orchestra, and concertos – frequently using local young musicians (which provides inspiration to us all). We have also performed children’s concerts, and works in conjunction with local choirs.
To see our picture gallery and concert history, click Gallery.
You can also follow us on Facebook page here
SATURDAY 4TH DECEMBER
Kingswood Methodist Church, Wollaton, NG8 1GR
Because of Covid, we have had to introduce some precautions. One impact is that we need to reduce our audience size, so tickets are ONLY be available through members of the orchestra, and NO TICKETS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON THE DOOR.
We are also employing some extra precautions which we ask both performers and audience to respect:
- If you are suffering from symptoms of COVID or have been in contact with anyone who has, please do not attend. Look after yourself and we hope you feel better soon and will be very glad to welcome you at our next concert.
- We would be grateful if everyone attending would conduct a Lateral Flow Test before coming. These are available freely from pharmacies and can be done within 30 minutes.
- We request the audience wear a mask or face covering throughout the concert (unless exempt). This may make other guests feel more at ease during the concert as we can’t offer spacing between all seating.
- You may bring a drink for the interval if you wish as refreshments will not be available at the concert.
- You may whish to dress warmly, as windows will be open for ventilation even though the heating will be on.
Dan Watson is our Conductor, and joined the orchestra in 2017. He shares some of the planning with the committee and works closely with Stephen, the leader, to come up with interesting and enjoyable concert repertoire for the orchestra to take on.
Interested in joining the orchestra?
As a large amateur orchestra we often need additional players – either because a current member leaves or is away for a specific concert, or where additional players or ‘unusual’ instruments (e.g. Bass Clarinet, Harp, extra percussion, etc) are needed for a piece. To join you need to be a competent player at least at grade 5 or equivalent. Additionally, the orchestra needs to have a role for your instrument. We do not have auditions, but instead we will invite a prospective member to come to rehearsals for up to 4 weeks and try playing with us. That allows the player to decide if they like the orchestra, and allows us to decide whether joining at that time is appropriate or should be deferred until the player has improved.
At the moment we particularly need:
- Double Basses
We also currently have vacancies for :
… so – if you are interested in any of these vacancies (or know someone who would be), please contact us by emailing email@example.com so we can keep in touch for when we do re-start.
If we don’t currently have a vacancy for your instrument but you are interested – please still get in touch so we can contact you when circumstances change.
The orchestra was established in 1988 with support from Sir Harry Djanogly and rehearsal facilities at what is now the Djanogly Learning Trust site on Sherwood Rise, which we continue to enjoy. We would like to express our thanks to both.